I have had the privilege of tasting many different types and brands of smoked salmon. Right from the Fortnum Mason’s own brand to the likes of Teviot Smokery (The River Tweed) or the original Cromdale Smokery (The River Spey) – even the finest Alaskan smoked salmon.
In light of my self styled connoisseur status! I would have to rate UIG farmed smoked salmon right up there as one of the best farmed smoked salmon products in the UK. Here are five reasons why:
1. The flesh is firm and not overly fatty (a common problem with farmed smoked salmon)
2. Subtle smoked flavours that aren’t overpowering
3. Worked perfectly as part of the ubiquitous smoked salmon and scrambled eggs
4. Stands on it’s own merits with some brown bread, lemon and pepper – there’s no hiding place for smoked salmon when eating it this way, it simply has to be of a good quality to stack up
5. The salmon arrived promptly, nicely packaged and reasonably priced
In terms of background, the salmon is produced on the West Coast of Lewis, the largest of the Hebridean islands. The Smokery was established in 1984 and has been producing high quality smoked salmon ever since. Each Salmon fillet is hand smoked to a secret recipe.
UIG Lodge say:
“The recipe for the smoked salmon has been refined to ensure that the flavour is kept as simple as possible, steering away from the over complicated. Simplicity is the key to all good food and the quality of the raw ingredients is paramount. This is why only the finest locally sourced salmon are used for the Smokery.”
For more info check out UIG Lodge.
Disclosure: For this blog post we were able to gain access to a sample product or service.
To see our full Disclosure Policy please click here.